This Spicy Sausage and Kale Minestrone is hearty, comforting, and the perfect way to detox after an indulgent Holiday vacation. You can easily swap out the Spicy Italian Sausage for leftover Turkey, Chicken, any protein you have or simply make it Vegan. This recipe is gluten free and paleo, boasting tons of fresh vegetables, and complete proteins like Quinoa.
You will need:
- 1 can of Organic Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Medium Carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of Celery, diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 cups of Green Beans, cut into thirds
- 2 large handfuls of Kale, washed and trimmed
- 1 Organic Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary
- 1 litre container of low sodium Organic Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 28 oz can of Organic Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Organic Zucchini, diced
- 5 small Red Russet Potatoes, sliced into medallions
- 1/2 package of ground Spicy Italian Sausage (make sure it is Gluten Free)
- 3/4 cup of Organic Quinoa, dry
- juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- fresh Parsley to garnish
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
In a large pot, melt Coconut Oil and add sausage. While browning add the onion, celery, carrots – cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add zucchini, sliced potatoes, red bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add broth, crushed tomatoes, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add dry quinoa and cook for 15 minutes. Finally add the chickpeas, kale and lemon juice. Cook until the kale is wilted. Garnish with fresh parsley and Enjoy!
Store in an air tight container in the fridge.