This Hearty Quinoa Stew is perfect for meal prep, because the flavours only get better over the first few days! It’s similar to my Spicy Sausage Minestrone from a while back, but I switched up some of the vegetables, and protein.
You can easily swap out the Sausage for leftover Turkey, Chicken, any protein you have, or simply make it Vegan. This recipe is gluten free and dairy free boasting tons of fresh vegetables, and complete proteins like Quinoa.
Check out this article for more information about the nutritional benefits of Quinoa and why you should incorporate it into your diet!
You will need:
- 1 can of Organic Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Medium Carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of Celery, diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 cups of Green Beans, cut into thirds
- 2 large handfuls of Kale, washed and trimmed
- 1 Organic Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary
- 1 litre container of low sodium Organic Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 3/4 cup of Organic Quinoa, dry
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- fresh Parsley to garnish
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- For Protein: I used a Mild Italian Sausage that I removed from the casing. But you could use leftover chicken or turkey breast, or anything you have on hand.
In a pan, melt Coconut Oil and add sausage (removed from casing). Cook the sausage until brown and drain as much liquid as possible. In a large pot add the sausage, onion, celery, carrots – cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add garlic, zucchini, green beans and red bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add broth, cherry tomatoes, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add dry quinoa and cook for 15 minutes. Finally add the chickpeas and kale. Cook until the kale is wilted. Garnish with fresh parsley and hot sauce (if you like it spicy). Enjoy!
Store in an air tight container in the fridge.